Every time I read or watch the news there seems to be a story about the world falling apart. Terrorism is everywhere, our children aren’t safe walking alone, crime is increasing and our economy is on shaky ground. If you go on Facebook it can be even worse with anti-gun, pro-gun, anti-Obama, anti-Trump, anti-Hillary, anti-global warming, pro-global warming and it goes on and on. We are constantly bombarded with terrifying news and how our world is going to end if things aren’t changed soon. Many feel these topics are important if you are investing in real estate, because these events affect the economy and housing prices. While some of the news may be important, I think if you get too wrapped up in how bad everything is, it will make it hard to be successful. I was a little worried about writing this article, because I did not want to push away readers based on my political views. Hopefully after reading this you will see it is not about my views, but about success and how paying too much attention to the negatives can greatly hurt your chances of succeeding. I also think the world is in a much better place than the news makes it out to be.
Is the world really as bad off as the news suggests?
Just about every day there is news of people being killed, mass shootings, terrorism and economies falling apart. Yes, there are shootings and deaths every day, but there are also 7 billion people in the world and over 300 million people in the United States. When you have that many people in the world, bad things are going to happen. There will be accidents, there will be wars, there will be famine and there will be negative things happen all the time. If you know me at all, you know that I am a numbers guy. When I see stories in the news or posts on Facebook about one story that proves the world is falling apart or proves a political viewpoint one way or the other, it drives me crazy.
I am not going to get into my personal views, but when you analyze a situation that involves billions of people, you have to look at massive studies or historical figures to see what is really happening. One story about one person out of 300 million, does not prove a trend or a point. With billions of people in the world, it is guaranteed that you could find a story that would prove any point you want to prove. When you ask what do the numbers say? You start to see what is really going on.
- Children are much safer today than at any point in our history. https://www.businessinsider.com/american-children-safer-than-ever-2015-4. Do abductions and bad things happen? Yes, but they are happening much less now than they ever did. So all those stories about it being so much safer to walk to school when your parents were kids are just not true. Children are much safer today than ever before in almost all aspects: car accidents, diseases, crime, etc.
- Terrorism deaths of US citizens is minuscule compared to many other causes of death. Here is a great chart on the deaths caused by terrorism in the US. Note there were 32 fatalities world-wide in 2014, which is much less than what was occurring in the late 1990’s. Here are the leading causes of death in the United States:
- Heart disease: 611,105
- Cancer: 584,881
- Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205
- Accidents (unintentional injuries): 130,557
- Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978
- Alzheimer’s disease: 84,767
- Diabetes: 75,578
- Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,979
- Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 47,112
- Intentional self-harm (suicide): 41,149
- The world overall is safer than it ever has been according to many reports.
While many people feel terrorism is their biggest concern, a 15 to 24-year-old is much more likely to die from a heart attack, cancer and many other diseases than a terrorist. Over 30,000 people die in car accidents every year. But, the news and politicians scare us into thinking we are all in danger of being shot by terrorists. It is possible we could be killed in an attack, but when you look at the numbers there are much more dangerous things that we should be much more worried about.
While the news makes it appear the world is falling apart, we actually live in a very safe era. You also live in an era with tons of opportunity if you are able to ignore all the negatives out there.
How can all this negativity hurt your chances of success?
To be honest I used to get caught up in political arguments and the negativity that the news pumps out every day. I don’t think people realize how much time they spend arguing politics, especially if they actually research the issues. When you try to research politics with actual numbers and unbiased opinions, it can take hours to find one decent source! I would spend so much time arguing with people on Facebook or in person, that it actually hurt my business. In fact conducting research for this article has taken a ton of time and is frustrating me as well, because it is so hard to find decent information. If you are constantly arguing with people, what are you sacrificing? How could you use that time better to educate yourself or make your business better?
The other issue that poses a problem with politics and the negativity in the world is what it does to your mindset. I am a huge believer that the more positive and happy someone is, the more successful they will be. The happy you are, the better you work, the more opportunities you see and the more other people will want to work with you. If you are always pissed off or worried, it will make it much harder to be successful in life.
If you take the news or some politicians as the truth, it could also hurt your real estate investing. If all you did was listen to the news, it would seem that every market in the United States was dangerous and the economy could collapse at any moment. If you are buying rentals or flips, this could affect your business. I am not saying you should not look at the economy or crime rate when you invest in an area, but look at the statistics, don’t believe the news.
Just because housing prices are increasing, it does not mean housing prices will crash again. I hear investors tell me they aren’t buying until the next housing crash, but they may never buy if they wait for a crash like we had before. When the news warns that the economy is horrible and the high housing prices mean a crash is coming. Should you listen to the media who are trying to scare people constantly and have no clue what will happen, or should you do the research yourself and come up with your own conclusions?
To learn how to use mindset and attitude to make yourself more successful, check out: How to Change Your Mindset to Achieve Huge Success: Why your attitude and daily habits have more to do with making more money and having more freedom than anything else. A 200 page book available as an eBook or paperback on Amazon.
What if you feel a moral obligation to inform others the dangers of the world?
There are some that feel they need to be an advocate and tell others the truths about the world and why things need to change. Whether telling the world why things need to change will help anything or not, think about this:
“Entrepreneurs are needed to create and grow companies to absorb those people in new jobs. If entrepreneurs don’t create those jobs, the government ends up having to spend more money to help them one way or another.
So be patriotic. Go out there and get rich. Get so obnoxiously rich that when that tax bill comes, your first thought will be to choke on how big a check you have to write. Your second thought will be “what a great problem to have”, and your third should be a recognition that in paying your taxes you are helping to support millions of Americans that are not as fortunate as you.”
Instead of complaining about taxes, arguing about politics or worrying about how dangerous the world is. Take that energy and improve yourself, educate yourself and become more successful. The best way to change the world is to be the best person you can be, hire people, make a ton of money, pay a lot of taxes and improve the economy and lives of people closest to you.
How to become more successful at life and real estate.
How do you make yourself stop worrying about politics and the world?
If you have been arguing politics for a long time it can be a hard habit to break. If you have been hesitant to invest or start a business because the world is falling apart it can be hard to get over that fear. There are simple things that will help you stop worrying about things you cannot change and start focusing on things you can change.
- Don’t reply or post anything political on Facebook. This invites arguments and one person who disagrees with you can eat up hours of time you could have used for much more productive things.
- If people are filling up your news feed with constant negativity and junk, delete them. It is easy to do and if you hurt their feelings too bad. They are probably used to people deleting them anyway. (It’s not the worst thing in the world to stay away from social media in general, unless it is my Facebook page)
- If you don’t think the world is safe or the economy is in good shape, do some research. Don’t blindly follow the news without checking out the statistics for yourself. Ask other business people in your area, ask other successful people what their thoughts are.
- Make sure you surround yourself with the right people. If you are always around negative people it is really hard to be positive yourself. Even if you are positive, you probably think negative thoughts about the person wishing they weren’t so negative! Listen to the people who are the most successful you know. You will start to see the successful people are the most positive, while the negative people don’t have much going.
Now I really feel like I am on a soap box, but hopefully you see my point that the world is not in bad shape. There will always be conflict, terrorism and bad people. You cannot change that and you cannot constantly worry that something will happen to you. The world is safer now more than it ever has been. Most people are spending too much time worrying about dangers that have almost no chance of occurring and ignoring dangers that could affect them greatly. To make a difference and change the world, spend your time and energy on becoming an overwhelming success. You will be happier, you will help more people and make a difference in the world.
*I appreciate all comments, but try not to turn this into a political argument.