Much of my success is due to my attitude, goals and methods. A daily routine helps me keep track of what is important in my life and my business. I work hard, but hard work alone will not make you successful. Many people work hard for years and have nothing to show for their work, because they have no plan. Not only have to work hard, but you have to work smart. Working smart means focusing on the most important goals you have and spending your time on the most lucrative activities.
This article is part of my series of articles on goals and personal improvement. Here the article that breaks down what I do to be successful. A daily routine has helped me flip more houses, sell more houses and buy more rentals.
What is a daily routine?
I learned how to create and perform a daily routine after taking Jack Canfields personal coaching program. A daily routine is time you set aside to review goals, review your day, plan your next day, meditate, relax, or do whatever you feel helps your life the most. A daily routine should happen every day at a similar time without distractions. A daily routine can take 15 minutes or an hour or more, but is time for you and only you.
Why is a daily routine important?
Many people make goals, they make plans and they have great expectations for their business and life. The problem is they get distracted and stop thinking about those goals, those plans and those expectations. One reason people forget about these things is they work so hard on their business, they forget to work on themselves and look at the big picture.
A daily routine helps you take a step back, stop working and review where you are. Review what is working, what is not working, where you are now and where you want to be. Most importantly it helps you focus and stay on track with what is most important in your life.
How do you complete a daily routine?
There is no set way to perform a daily routine, but here are some basic guidelines to help you create one.
- Set a time that you will complete your daily routine. I do mine at 10:30 at night or close to it.
- Do your daily routine every day. If you start missing a day here or there that turns into two days and that turns into a week. Pretty soon you are never doing your routine. I have a reminder in my phone to tell me I have to do my routine every night.
- Write down what you will do during your routine. I have a list that I review every routine so I don’t miss anything.
- Tell your spouse and family you will be unavailable during this time. Explain why you will be unavailable and how this will help you and ultimately them.
- Create or dedicate a space for your routine. It can be a home office or any quiet space without distractions.
- Do not use the television or your laptop unless it is part of your routine. This is your time without distraction.
What do I do in my daily routine?
I have the same basic task I do every night in my routine. I always do these basic tasks, but some nights I will add a few more tasks. My basic tasks are the following:
- Write in my thankful journal. I have a journal that I write what I am thankful for everyday.
- Listen to my iPhone recordings. I record many things to help me remember my goals and what is important.
- Review my big goals. I have five to ten big goals written that I focus on.
- Mediation. I mediate for five to fifteen minutes to clear my mind, learn to focus and relax.
- Additional tasks. I also record messages on my phone, work on specific goals or read a small portion of books. I don’t do this every night.
Why is it important to write what I am thankful for?
I have a lot to be thankful for and the more I remind myself of the things I am thankful for, the happier I am. I am a strong believer that the happier I am the more successful I will be. Every night I write in my journal what I am thankful for that day, or what happened that day that made me thankful. This not only reminds me to be happy for everything I have and the people in my life, but it helps me review my day.
Why is it important to listen to recordings on my phone?
I have written many dream stories about how I want my life to be in the future. I became hooked on dream stories when I bought almost the exact same house from the first dream story I wrote. I was planning on buying my dream house in ten years and it took about six months. I write these dream stories down and I record them on my phone so I can constantly remind myself how I want my life to be and what is important to me. The Lamborghini was also in one of my dream stories and came much quicker than I ever imagined.
I also record my most important goals that I want to achieve or any important reminders to myself. It is easier for me to listen to these recordings while I am driving then to review them on paper all the time.
Why is it important to review goals?
Many people set goals, but most people do not achieve their goals. The reason is we forget about our goals almost as soon as we set them. If you set a goal to make $100,000 in 2015, but never review that goal or take any action to achieve that goal you will not reach it. The more you see or think about your goals, the more action you will take towards reaching them. A daily routine helps me review my goals constantly and keep them fresh in my mind.
To learn how to use mindset and attitude to make yourself more successful, check out: How to Change Your Mindset to Achieve Huge Success: Why your attitude and daily habits have more to do with making more money and having more freedom than anything else. A 200 page book available as an eBook or paperback on Amazon.
Why is meditation important?
Meditation is not for everyone, but I highly suggest you try it. I mediate for about 15 minutes every day and all I do is close my eyes, relax and try to think of nothing. It is not easy to do if you have never tried it. Our mind are constantly thinking about random thoughts and quieting your mind is not easy. Once you learn to quiet your thoughts, it is extremely relaxing. Many times when I stop thinking about everything going on in my life I come up with my best ideas and most insightful thoughts.
A daily routine is hard to do and hard to do every day. It is very easy to let a couple of nights slip by and then stop completing your routine at all. I had this happen to me recently and I lost a lot of focus and I forget many of my big goals. Creating and completing a daily routine has been one of the best things I have done in the last two years to help me become more successful.